I found this recipe, and I thought it would be nice to try something different.
The link: https://icecreamwithafork.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/crock-pot-sausage-cheese-tortellini/
The recipe is good. I adjusted the broth as was suggested in some of the reviews. Next time I will use a meat tortellini. It was (I cannot believe I am saying this…) a bit TOO cheesy for us.
I know the picture probably isn’t that great, but it was very yummy!
Crock Pot Sausage & Cheese Tortellini
1 pound Italian Sausage (your choice – mild or hot)
20 oz Frozen Three Cheese Tortellini (or whatever kind you prefer)
32 oz Low Sodium Chicken Broth (I started with 16 and added another 8 when I warmed it up the next night.)
2 15 oz. cans Diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
8 oz. cream cheese
1. Take your cream cheese out of the refrig and let it sit while you brown your Italian sausage.
2. Add the sausage and tortellini (I added it still frozen.) to your crock pot. Pour the tomatoes (including liquid) and broth over the top. Add the cream cheese to the pot in chunks.
3. Give it a good stir to get everything evenly distributed, making sure the liquid adequately covers the tortellini.
4. Cook on low for a total of 3 1/2 – 4 hours. Stir at 1 1/2 hours and again at 3 hours, removing the lid for the last 30 minutes of cooking. This will give the sauce some time to thicken up. You can leave the lid off longer if you need more thickening time, but stir every so often.
5. Serve topped with grated Parmesan.
Add additional broth at the 1 1/2 hour interval if needed – just enough to keep the tortellini moist. You can turn the crock put up to high for the last half hour to help it thicken.
Thank you for stopping by!