I didn’t know this until a page I follow on Facebook told me so!
I have suffered from migraines for years. I guess what frustrates me the absolute most is people that claim they have a migraine, but it is so obvious that they have not one clue what it is like to truly suffer from an actual full blown migraine. Migraines are not your average super bad headache.
Migraines are hereditary, and I know for a fact that on my Mom’s side, I am at least third generation for migraines. I truly think my oldest nephew gets migraines, but has not yet been officially diagnosed as such.
Statistics from Migraine.com state that 100 million people suffer from headaches, but 37 million of those people have migraines. UGH!!!!
Usually when one has a migraine, they want a quiet, dark room to just rest and pray the pain stops. This is one reason I say that not everyone that thinks they have a migraine does have one. On migraine days, I usually cannot function. TV, radio, computer and phone calls are just not options. If you have a migraine, chances are very good that you will not be texting with your BFF or watching a TV show until it goes away.
There are many other issues that come with migraines – sensitivity to smell, stiff neck, dizziness, vision issues, weakness, nausea. I suffer from the sensitivity to smell. There have been times that I have had to remove the pillow case from the pillow I was resting on because the smell from the fabric softener was just too much for me. It is like I have a super power because my sense of smell is so sensitive. On the other side of that, strong odors (floral perfumes, strong car exhaust smells) give me an almost instant headache. Not necessarily a migraine, but definitely a strong headache.
One tough part of migraines is determining your triggers. I spent about six months keeping a journal that tracked my sleeping and food and headaches and migraines. I was able to determine that a few of my triggers are lack of sleep, not eating breakfast, and my period. There are many other triggers for migraines, but you won’t know yours unless you are willing to track things.
I did have a situation in which I had a migraine for several days and even my prescription meds were not easing it. I was trying hard to function as best I could, but I ended up at the doctor’s office. I couldn’t handle it anymore. As we were talking she was testing different areas of my head and neck. At one point she touched the back of my neck, and I swear I about went through the ceiling. My doctor determined that the nerves in the back of my neck needed to be physically manipulated to relax, and then the migraine would diminish. Her recommendation – a massage. Ok! A dear friend and coworker set me up with my massage friend, and over the years, she and I have become good friends. I went to her, told her my issue, and I kid you not, she fixed it! I was so thankful! Most times that I go to see her now, one of her first questions to me, all of these years later, is how are your headaches? She is magic! Honestly!
If you think you suffer from migraines, please see your doctor. There are many options out there to help you. Imitrex works well for me. There are other meds out there if that is not a good one for you. For a while I was on Fioricet as a preventative measure. Thankfully, I was able to stop that treatment plan because things settled down.
I mentioned that I take Imitrex for my migraines. It usually starts to work for me within about 30 minutes of taking it. I do try to take it with a caffeinated beverage (Diet Coke is usually my choice). After I take my meds, I lay down. 90% of the time within the half hour the migraine has subsided enough that I feel I am safe to drive and go about daily life. It leaves me with what I call the migraine hangover. I certainly still have a headache. I feel hungover, but I can function. The other 10% of the time, I am usually down and out for a good 8-12 hours. I am blessed in that Tim is VERY helpful and considerate and loving. I usually sleep a lot during this time, and truly I usually have no idea how long I have been out when I finally do get up again.
Please consider going to migraine.com to find out about migraines. Learn about the triggers, symptoms, and what you can do to feel better.
Sorry I rambled on so long, but this is a serious issue.
Thank you for stopping by!