Our dear friend Leslie dropped off a container of this a while back when we were going through a rough time and needed some help. We thought it was very tasty! I have not made it myself, but I did enjoy eating the batch that Leslie brought us. It was very good.
This recipe comes from 12 Tomatoes. They have a lot of great recipes over there. Be sure to check them out on Pinterest and/or Facebook.
Rustic Caramelized Onion Minestrone
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15 oz) can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 (15.5 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a soup pot. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and continue cooking the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are very soft and light brown in color, 20-30 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Pour vegetable stock into the pot slowly. Stir to scrape up and incorporate brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in tomatoes, cannellini beans, potatoes, carrots, celery and seasonings. Bring mixture to a slow boil then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add green beans and peas. Stir well, and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with an optional side of crusty bread!